You knew it was coming, it’s the same every year. You hope and pray that it won’t be so bad this time and then it happens: Winter arrives. But before you curl up in front of the fire there a few things you need to take care of.
- Check for missing or damaged roof tiles. The last thing you need at any time of year is a leak. Go outside and take a look around. If you spot any damages or loose tiles it’s much better to be safe. Call a professional to come and take a look as catching a problem quickly will save you more money in the long run.
- Insulate outdoor pipes. Wrap all outdoor pipes in insulating foam and check that there are no cracks in the existing tap or pipe. If you find any issues, take care of them before the cold weather bites.
- Clean out guttering. Blockages in the guttering can cause leaks and, if they are severe enough, the water could overflow and cause damage to your roof. Prevent this by hiring a professional to clear out any leaves or debris and repair any damages.
- Keep heating on low during particularly cold weather. This will keep the pipes warm and prevent water from freezing inside them which could burst the pipes.
- Boiler insurance. Having your boiler covered by an insurance plan can save you a small fortune if you have any problems. It could also guarantee that an engineer will get to you quickly if you need them. Some companies offer a discount on a new boiler if you upgrade it with them. A new boiler could even make your home more energy efficient which will save you money on your bills.
- Where is your stop cock? Knowing how to shut off your water in an emergency could reduce the amount of damage a leak can cause. It could also save you money on repair bills and replacing your belongings.
- Have a plumbers number handy. If you have a leak or a flood, having the number of a reliable plumber handy will save you having to find a phone number in the middle of a crisis. If you don’t have a number already then ask around for recommendations.
Planning ahead for the winter months can mean the difference between a very Merry Christmas and a miserable start to the New Year. Take care of any issues now and then you can relax with a mulled wine in front of the Only Fools and Horses re-runs.
Keep up to date with ways to Sell your house fast with QuickBuyers.